2022-23 ECHL Power Rankings
A Sweep Of Cincinnati Keeps Newfoundland Growlers On Top
It’s the Newfoundland Growlers back on top of FloHockey’s very unofficial ECHL power rankings for a second consecutive week, once again edging out an Idaho Steelheads team that’s right on their tails.
The defending champion Florida Everblades made a big move this week, and there was plenty of other shuffling up and down the league’s 28 teams, including a new squad in the basement.
1) Newfoundland Growlers (30-10-1-0) (Last Week: 1)
The “Newfie” natives have earned their top spot, including running the table on the road in Cincinnati this past week, sweeping a very solid Cyclones club on the road and outscoring them by a combined 11-3 over the three-game stretch.
2) Idaho Steelheads (32-7-0-1) (Last Week: 2)
Idaho kept pace with the Growlers this past week at home, putting together a three-game sweep of their own, knocking Wichita completely out of the top 10 in the process.
3) Maine Mariners (24-12-1-1) (Last Week: 3)
The Mariners remain one of the hottest teams in the league, losing just once in regulation in the entire month of January.
The Norfolk Admirals managed to shut them out Friday night, which was enough to move them out of their perpetual spot in the cellar of the power rankings.
4) Florida Everblades (26-9-3-2) (Last Week: 7)
Don’t count out the most recent team to hoist the Kelly Cup. Not that anyone would, of course, but Florida continues its climb up the board after, you guessed it, a three-game sweep of South Carolina at home this past week.
5) Indy Fuel (28-12-2-0) (Last Week: 4)
Indy slides down a spot this week after capturing three out of a possible six points, recovering from losing back-to-back games at home against Jacksonville – including an overtime defeat on Saturday – with a blowout win in Kalamazoo on Sunday.
6) Reading Royals (25-12-2-0) (Last Week: 5)
Reading also moves in the wrong direction this week, victimized twice by a once-again surging Worcester club, after starting out the stretch with a 3-1 road win over Trois-Rivieres on Wednesday.
7) Greenville Swamp Rabbits (22-11-7-0) (Last Week: 13)
Greenville takes a big jump into the top 10 after capitalizing on a short week.
The Swamp Rabbits beat the Atlanta Gladiators in a shootout on Wednesday night and followed that two nights later with a 3-1 win over struggling Savannah at home.
8) Jacksonville Icemen (25-13-1-0) (Last Week: 11)
Another team with a light schedule this past week, Jacksonville also takes advantage in the rankings after back-to-back 5-4 road wins in Indy.
9) Toledo Walleye (22-15-4-1) (Last Week: 10)
Don’t let the Toledo Walleye hang around.
Last year’s Western Conference champs are continuing to make progress in their self-titled “Revenge Tour,” taking 4-of-6 points in a three-in-three this past week, including taking both halves of a back-to-back against Kalamazoo.
10) South Carolina Stingrays (23-10-4-1) (Last Week: 8)
Three straight losses for the Stingrays – they were on the other end of Florida’s strong week – sends them down two spots this week, as they collected just one point during the stretch, which came in Saturday’s 2-1 overtime loss.
The Rest Of The ECHL
11) Atlanta Gladiators (23-14-3-1) (Last Week: 12)
12) Cincinnati Cyclones (22-11-4-2) (Last Week: 9)
13) Orlando Solar Bears (19-19-4-1) (Last Week: 15)
14) Worcester Railers (22-17-3-0) (Last Week: 14)
15) Wichita Thunder (23-16-3-0) (Last Week: 6)
16) Utah Grizzlies (19-20-1-0) (Last Week: 20)
17) Wheeling Nailers (19-17-4-0) (Last Week: 17)
18) Fort Wayne Komets (18-14-4-2) (Last Week: 22)
19) Allen Americans (18-21-1-0) (Last Week: 19)
20) Rapid City Rush (20-21-1-0) (Last Week: 16)
21) Adirondack Thunder (14-19-5-1) (Last Week: 23)
22) Kansas City Mavericks (17-16-5-0) (Last Week: 18)
23) Kalamazoo Wings (17-20-3-0) (Last Week: 21)
24) Tulsa Oilers (13-18-7-1) (Last Week: 24)
25) Savannah Ghost Pirates (12-22-7-0) (Last Week: 25)
26) Trois-Rivieres Lions (15-24-2-0) (Last Week: 26)
27) Norfolk Admirals (7-31-1-2) (Last Week: 28)
28) Iowa Heartlanders (7-22-9-1) (Last Week: 27)